Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Baker County Meeting A Great Success

FROM JAY BOYD, PhD She is the Chair of Baker and Union County..Thanks Jay.

Hi Carolyn,

Well! Oh me of little faith! I figured about 2 people would show up for this meeting; instead there were about 15. There were more non-Catholics than Catholics, by about 2 to 1. One woman had called me earlier in the day and said she'd like to come but had heard that it was "by invitation only". Huh?! I don’t know where that came from!

The non-Catholics were saying, "I saw this meeting in the paper, and I'm not Catholic, but I figured I'd come anyway." One man said, "Looks like the Catholics are the only ones doing anything!" (Which isn't exactly true, but apparently there aren't any well-publicized meetings of Republicans going on. There have been Obama meetings, though.)

The meeting only lasted about 30 minutes. I talked a little about why I was involved, showed them the flyers, bumper stickers, and yard signs, and then had everyone just make a mad scramble for what they wanted. One woman asked me if it was okay to put the McCain/Obama comparison flyers on windshields in the Albertson's parking lot. I said as far as I knew it was okay, so she took a big stack of them. Another couple took a small stack to pass out at their church.

Another woman thought we should make a "baby tree" like the "pair" trees that you see on the highway between Bend and John Day (where people have thrown pairs of tennis shoes into the tree branches). She thought we could decorate a tree with booties or little baby bonnets, and have some sort of pro-life sign. I thought it was a great idea, and I think I'll pursue it. That could go on for awhile, regardless of the election: people adding a pair of booties on the tree to bring awareness to the number of babies being aborted every day.

I also delivered signs to three people who couldn't make the meeting, and the "baby tree" woman said she'd like more signs to give to some other people she knows, so I'll deliver a few more to her tomorrow.

And they all thanked me for having the meeting!

+JMJ+
Jay

No comments: